View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
It's a curious thing. I'm guessing Canada has a different set of royalty or copyright laws. I see that you read on a Kindle and are from Canada. Do you purchase ebooks from Amazon.com? Or convert ePubs?
Book rights are often geographical. Even though I purchase from the main Amazon.com site, the price and even whether or not the ebook is available for me is dictated by my country of residence. Amazon's software does this manipulation behind the curtain, for everyone.

I can convert epubs, since I have the know-how to strip DRM, but I still buy 90% of my books from Amazon. Amazon's prices are usually the lowest and I like their ecosystem (cloud, emailing personal documents, reviews, author profiles, etc.), which is why I chose a Kindle in the first place. I've also bought mobi files from other sites, Amazon isn't the only one selling the format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That didn't occur to me. Your Kindle automatically takes you to where you can buy Kindlebooks, so it doesn't matter what the site is, right?
Yes, if I actually bought from my Kindle, it connects to Amazon.com for anyone with Canada as their country code.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote