View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle saved my backpack -- kind of...

Thanks to the screensaver hack I got my Kindle and backpack back today... I got distracted talking to somebody on the train and left my backpack behind (I had a bicycle to deal with, making that more likely to have happened). Anyhow, we were riding along when I suddenly realized that I'd left it behind and raced to try to intercept the train, but didn't know the route well and ended up at the wrong stop... 1.5 hours of train chasing and I finally found the right train, but no backpack.

Upset, mostly about my Kindle, I was very happy when I got a call saying that this guy had my backpack -- he'd found my phone number on my Kindle screensaver image. Yeah!

So, a few hours later a rather odd fellow meets me to return it... I didn't look in the bag and offered to take him out to lunch as a reward (I had no cash)... he acted like he wanted to go, but finally said no and left quickly.

So... all's well, right? Problem is, my stainless steel bottle of iced tea was empty, my train money was gone, my camera was gone, and my Kindle had been violently torn from its lighted case, breaking off the top tab and severely bending the bottom tab. :-( I even had one of those SmakDab clips to prevent it from being opened from the wrong side!

Makes me wonder why he even bothered to return it... I spent all day wondering why he didn't just dump the bag after taking what he wanted, and then I realized that perhaps he was the second person to find it, which made me feel better about the strange situation.

Oh well... such is life. At least I have my Kindle back and I've now found an excuse to increase my paranoia . I straightened the bottom tab, and the broken off tab is still stuck in the top slot, so if I press the Kindle against it and install the SmakDab clip the light still works...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote