View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #32
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Oh, come on.

Amazon is not telling you you can't read non-Amazon documents on their Kindle... that's why they allow you to read other formats.

Also, converting a document you own from one format to another, for your own use, constitutes "fair use."

mrkai, you're just trying to pick a fight.
Amazon seems to have made it *pretty clear* that they don't wish to allow drm'd purchases from other resellers on the kindle: it will not view them, now will it, Steve?

Is it "fair use" if you retain multiple copies of this document that can be read in different places simultaneously by different people, Steve?

We'll see

Since Amazon via mobipocket controls the licensing of the software and whatnot that allows sellers to drm their books with mobi-fu...

We'll see won't we when all of these mobi booksellers have to inform you that "unfortunately, we cannot accept the PID supplied. Thank you for understanding."

This PID would be in the very distinct and easily identifiable Kindle format, with the nifty * in it

An you should read the TOS for the Kindle. "Enhancements" and "Augmentations" are not defined in such a way to exclude slipping commercial drm'd content not licensed or sold by amazon onto the Kindle.

And just like drm reversing for ink cartridges was struck down even tho it was circumvention for interoperability, so do does this fall under that shadow.

I'm not picking a fight. I am making sure that people are crystal clear on the position.

It seems that you like to have it both ways. Its fine to screw amazon if the author/publisher is getting paid, is it?

Ok, that last line there could be construed as fight-pickery

-K

Last edited by mrkai; 12-13-2007 at 12:48 AM.
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote