View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #85
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Now let's move to the Reader. History is repeating here: get out of the market; it's hopeless with the Nook's price-point, etc.

So lesson #1 is don't count Sony out. The PS3 was counted out, called far worse than the above, and it's profitable. Okay, that happens to be all the lessons.

I absolutely agree the Reader needs to drop its price. It's needed to for ages. Look at it compared to the Kindle. It is, however, a higher quality product in terms of weight, ergonomics and build. The utlra-light-weight is probably no longer an advantage (the Nook is probably quite light), nor is the pearl touch screen. But it's still ergonomic and solidly built metal. I would certainly continue buying Sony due to quality. But will others? There is something to be said for brand loyalty... but how much? I don't know.

Okay, so once again, I agree on the price issue. Hopefully Sony will too. But remember lesson #1: when everyone out there is writing off Sony's gaming division, they turn a profit.

It's very early to be digging the grave marked "Here lies Sony Reader." My shovel's staying in the garage, and I recommend yours does too.

-Pie
There were many posts about Sony when they announced the new PRS range and their pricing, declaring they were providing a quality product and not getting involved in a price-war with the other big sellers. History shows how quickly the demand and subsequent sell out of the PRS line happened. It does show that despite cheap ereaders out there, people are prepared to pay extra for what they deem to be valuable to them. Just like the automotive industry, you can buy (Aussie prices) a new car from as low as $12,999, but does that mean that Mercedes will drop the price of their imports to match? No, some people want cheap, others will pay for what they want.

I don't own a Sony, but from reading posts from happy buyers one thing stands out with the Sony, the solid build. The cheaper readers are thin plastic (which isn't all bad), so it would be very hard for Sony to compete on price yet keep a similar build quality.

So option, Sony drop price and build quality, OR keep same pricing schedule and keep same build quality. Take a pick? I some how feel people would pick the second option over the first.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote