View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Popular history serves a legitimate purpose and ought not to be dismissed as junk (no one's claiming this is academic history) and it's certainly not a historical novel. I also think the phrase "emotionally driven" is a loaded term tending to be used to disparage woman writers. As for the dial painters being useful characters, well, of course they were! There's nothing inherently wrong with telling the human side of a story. Raw numbers in the end don't convey the suffering of the individuals as much as pertinent details from individual accounts.

I think of history books as being on a continuum - popular to serious to academic. There is a point to popular history and one of them is readability; I can't say the paragraphs you cited were what I'd call page-turners. In fact, Radium Girls appears to be heavily researched and we've already discussed and deplored the author's tendency to go too far in her stage-setting, especially as she had the information from the personal accounts and a knack for telling a story. The book should have been better, but it's far from worthless.
I, for one, am glad of this book, and the look into the history of the luminescent dial industry and its victims. Yes, I realize that it's not a pure history book, and I think we've pretty much beat that horse to death. All of us wish the author had stuck to the known facts. BUT, that being said, I'm not about to call it junk, and I don't think using emotionally laden terms to make a point about a somewhat emotionally laden book really does anyone a service and agree about the phrase "emotionally driven" and its use.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote