View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it doesn't. The only "national" Amazon sites are, to the best of my knowledge:

UK
France
Germany
Spain
Japan
Brasil

They probably base it on population. All the above have a population of 50m+.

EDIT: Oh, and Canada of course, which I believe was the first "national" Amazon store, probably based on its geographical proximity to the US?
I believe Amazon Italy exists as well, and has its own Kindle store.

But yes, overall it's only a handful of countries, and while there are likely several who do get the option of seeing the prices & paying in their own currency on Amazon.com, I'm pretty certain that customers in the majority of countries who have to shop for Kindle books on Amazon.com see prices in US dollars (not necessarily the same prices, for Kindle books, as American customers do, but whatever the publisher + Amazon have deemed appropriate for a given market).

And person-to-person lending is only available to US customers. As far as I know, even those in other countries that do have their own national Amazon/Kindle stores don't have the person-to-person lending option (yet anyway - I've seen articles indicating that the UK might get it at some point?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx
That is, Amazon not only recognizes our IP address but applies geo restrictions accordingly.
I'm reasonably certain that while Amazon can recognise your IP address, the geo-restrictions are not applied based on that but on the address you have entered in your account. Customers living in one country don't, as a general rule, suddenly get geo-restrictions applied when travelling, after all, when they have not changed their home address to their travelling address under their account details.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote