View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course, a 199 price point would also mean "iPad maxi, you're dead!". So it will never happen. And even at 249 they could kiss the years of good profits goodbye. They are not that desperate yet, perhaps in a year or two they will be. So the safest bets are 349 or 399.
While I agree that $349-399 is the most likely price point--what with the new iPod Touch at $299--Apple going low wouldn't be a measure of desperation, just highly aggressive. And not likely to impact the larger model, if nothing else, because of the XGA resolution. If it exists, the Mini specs will be more like the original iPad to prevent canibalization and drive costs low (or margins high).

If I were whispering "evil" thoughts in Mr Cook's ear, I would suggest the device not be called an iPad Mini but rather iBook and that it link to a separate store built around the books and media with only a few reading and gaming apps. No competing ebook apps. And then price it at $249 with a voucher for free ebooks.

It really depends on how highly Apple think of the FireHD9 and how much they think it might impact the full-size iPad. Especially the LTE model. The two companies are headed for a collision at some point and Amazon is clearly baiting Apple but it's not automatic that they'll take it.

It'll be interesting to see what things are going to look like by November, after the Mini shows up (if it exists) and after B&N makes its play and the WinTabs start showing up. Which is why I'm going to wait, despite being really intrigued by the FireHD9 as an ebook reader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote