View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't think Amazon can just do straight up free kindle with prime, b/c then people (ok, me) will just get prime for one year and drop it. So there will have to be a catch, like you need to keep or have had prime for two years, or buy certain number of books, etc. which will make it much less appealing to people (ok, me).
One year would work. If you don't use Prime during that period, then Amazon isn't out anything. They've collected $79 from you, which easily covers the cost of the Kindle. If you do use Prime, Amazon wins because it's getting you to make purchases; which is what they want.

I had Prime for several months and found myself making numerous small purchases. For starters, it saved me a trip to the store. I had my stuff in two days, which was frequently faster than waiting for my weekly shopping day. Also, I no longer had to meet a $25 minimum before the free shipping kicked in, so I could place orders immediately; I could also take advantage of sales on items below $25 in cost. Because of Prime, I found myself ordering more stuff from Amazon.

I no longer have Prime and as a result, I rarely order anything from Amazon. I refuse to pay for shipping charges, so small frequent orders are out. Another result of not having Prime is that I don't do the daily Lightning Deals. Those deals are usually limited to one per account and each deal must be ordered within a 1~2 hour window. Since the items I'm generally interested in are frequently below $25, that would mean I'd have to pay shipping charges for each purchase. I won't do that.

Lack of Prime, means Amazon has basically lost me as a paying customer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote