View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I think you really need to accept that the first copies of a book are going to be priced for the "I don't care, I want it now. NOW! Mommy! NOOOOOWWW!" market. If you can't afford it (or are not willing to pay), wait. There are books that I am, in all seriousness, waiting to see either as second hand paperbacks or in the bargain bin, because I think $5 is a generous estimation of their value.
oh, of course. that won't change anytime soon. it's not so much the practice itself, as the idea of the ebook being priced basically the same as the first release edition. as i mentioned earlier, since there are significantly fewer costs involved in publishing / selling ebooks, i consider that their price should be no more than half that of a paperbook. *even* when they are new. possibly slightly higher at the beginning, to allow for the publishers' taking full advantage of the people who cannot possibly wait, but with a significant reduction compared to paper nonetheless.

actually, currently, there are very few books i will buy in the expensive "first release" format. i buy most of my books in pocket format, or used, or get them at the library. i couldn't possibly afford to buy all of them at 20€ each. this isn't a huge problem for me since the majority of what i read is pretty old anyway, it's usually more a problem of tracking down the last remaining copy in print . ebooks make this easier as well, luckily.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote