View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
What I'll probably do in the near future is re-read the entire novel using only the Glenny translation.

I think I would agree with Beppe that the bravest person in the novel is Margarita. But what of Yeshua? In the end he dies bravely true to his idealism--apparently with no bitterness, when a compromise could well have saved his life. And would this not also confirm his genuine nobility of soul?
Yeshua is among the puppeteers, he should be considered out of the contest among the persons. Not only that, Yeshua is forced by his traditional role to be inside the frame of his cliche. Some how it is expected that he is how he is (marvelously) depicted. Godlike in his strength, and human in his weakness. Also Levy is out of the contest. As all of the Woland's gang. They play the tunes while the humans dance, fall, a couple of them burn, some fly over the clouds, one looks like he is trying to eat the wooden floor and few find themselves with only the underpants on when the show is over, one with holes in her sock.

One thing that Margarita has in common with Yeshua is the piety, that surprising motion that jumps Woland and put him out of sync. That one, I think, is one of the key passages of the story, even before the message of Levy.

Last edited by beppe; 06-18-2011 at 07:47 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote