View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Unabridged v Abridged Uncertainties

Does anyone else ever wonder if the 'unabridged' version is actually so? I had this experience with Dune recently where I found that indeed the 'unabridged' version had very small snippets deleted.

That didn't matter too much, but sometimes I see unabridged versions on Audible whose length seems too short to encompass the page count and I wonder, especially if after sampling it the narrator doesn't speak especially fast.

For instance, does anyone have an opinion on this 'unabridged' version of Mary Poppins: http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/M...1322946&sr=1-1

It's less than four hours yet the book is around 200 pages. I suppose children's books go by faster but still it seems short, especially considering this 'abridged' versions (albeit in another language, but still) is 3 1/2 hours long: http://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/Mary-...1322946&sr=1-8

And considering more adult books, I find the same thing sometimes, especially when there's a few choices and different unabridged versions can have very different lengths and it makes one wonder at the shorter one.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote