View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
many thanks - freefile sync is already in my repertoire for calibre backups ( mirrors)
I will check out theoother stuff.
I am thinking I too will resist adding a microsoft account to begin with.
the PC has arrived but I've not tried it yet.will tackle the initial setup tomorrow but way not migrate my book elated stuff for some time yet.
I see that I have no windows media disks,
just the dell service tags, so 1st priority will be to get a system image onto an external drive. No COA sticker , like with win 7, just a holographic win 8 icon sticker. I guess dell put the win 8 keys in the bios somewhere, but I don't see how you'd recover from a hard disk failure without having some recovery media to reinstall from ?
I have found all the dell win 7 drivers for this model at dell site thoguh so if I make a dual boot then i have what I'll need.
I have no plans for a touch screen monitor - not after years of trying to remove accidental smears , fingermarks & budgie droppings - no way do I want anything that gets fingered!. ( PS after buying all sorts of screen cleaner crap that did not work, i discovered Apple IKlear - wonderful stuff ror monitors & TVS
It comes with UEFI the windows 8 coa is in the BIOS--with the win 7, you may have to get a new win 7 coa form Microsoft. The easies windows install I have ever done was my sister's win 8 laptop when the HD died, HP sent a new HD and install dvds under warranty.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote