View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
This might be chauvinistic since I live in the US but I suspect that a book written purely for British or Australian readers might be difficult for US readers to understand without translation. Possibly vice versa but the 'exporting' of US movies & TV shows would, I think, make a book written for US readers not too difficult to understand by British/Australian. I'm talking about words like lorry, bonnet, binders (for cars), queue (or loading cargo), and things like that. Knock somebody up has a totally different meaning in Britain than it does in the US. (Some of this might be obsolete but then it's been a long time & I'm probably out of touch by now. Maybe out of my mind.)

It's really not that difficult. I used to read British procedurals that hadn't been "translated" and honestly, they are just words. Every reader out there is used to words. Even before the days of the internet I could figured out the meanings or close enough that it wasn't a problem. It never bothered me and only added to the charm.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote