View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
Ok, maybe I'm a bit sensitive to line height, as I've worked with a lot of print books.

I've never seen an epub where re-setting the line height to default didn't yield a pleasant result, though. And to me, increasing the height with something so drastic as 20+ % looks very strange, hence my advice would still be to leave it at default.
When you work with print, you can lay it out as you want and set the line height as you feel appropriate.

Now, when you work with an ePub, if you do not set a line-height specifically, you are at the mercy of the font's metrics and the reading apps default value. For example, Sony uses a default line height of 1em. Kobo uses 1.3em. So the same book with no set line-height will be different because of the default settings. And then even on the same device, the metrics of the font also dictate how the line height comes out.

So if I was to move my ePub over to a Kobo, I would have to set a line-height in CSS or end up with a line-height too big for my liking.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote