View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think he wrote the review the way he did because he didn't really understand the Edge. Did you notice that he didn't mention using it?
It's similar to a review of the U.S. Army's field laptop that compares it to a MacBook Pro. It's way too heavy, ugly as sin, has a clunky interface and outdated software. Thumbs down, a total loser! Neglecting, of course, that its purpose and intended end user are different from the MacBook's.

So it is with the eDGe. Its intended purpose is a replacement for textbook, notebook, and to some extent laptop. The intended end user is a student in higher education. For that reason enTourage have a web store with nearly 14,000 e-Textbooks so far and counting.

A student can open up her eDGe in class with the textbook PDF on the e-ink side. Record the lecture with the built-in microphone and then attach the audio file to that chapter. Later during research she can attach typed and/or handwritten journal notes, more audio, videos, and web links to that chapter for reference. Reviewing for exam she can go back and activate those links in the text to hear or view the research material.

That's just one scenario. Owners have found other ways to use it. (Me, I've found it excellent for learning a foreign language.) It definitely is not an iPad competitor even though many functions overlap. If you don't need or desire the extra capabilities possible with the eDGe by all means buy the iPad instead.

I like my iPad. I like my eDGe. For different reasons.

- Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote