View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav8rick View Post
For me, I have tried so many, many pdf to epub readers that I despaired of trying one more. However, after reading the stuff on the internet, I decided to look up ABBYY FineReader and lo and behold, they actually have a direct pdf to epub converter called ABBYY PDF Converter.
After trying the trial (converts 100 pages max), I decided to plonk down the money for the full version.

End result; I think I converted > 40 books and ONLY one didn't convert properly. Most converted with graphics intact and > 30% had their TOC links done properly!

I regretted spending all that time with all those other pdf to epub converters; you name it, I'd have tried it (Calibre, EPUB Converter, Doremisoft, 3DPageFlip, Vibosoft, PDFMate, iStonsoft, Go4ePub - this is an online site...) and for some reason, a lot of them look suspiciously alike so either they had the same underlying product and they just customized the look and feel or some of them pirate it from a main source and spinned it off on their own.

The reason I gave ABBYY a chance is because they're a reputable OCR software vendor too so I figured if they can do OCR well, they surely can do something about the pesky PDF internal structure/markups.

I absolutely have no other business interest in ABBYY other than wonder why they didn't market this product well - if you guys are still vexing over the conversion, you'd take a look.
Well...pretty much everyone here that does this either in large quantities, or professionally, as I do, already uses Abbyy (Fine Reader). While it's viable for the initial conversion, the "cruft" left underneath the file, in the coding, isn't very attractive, and requires a fair amount of clean-up. I don't have any reason to think that Abbyy's "ABBYY PDF Converter" is anything different than the PDF-->Converter that's in AFR 11, and I'd be surprised if it were.

One of the things that Abbyy is very good about is making everything look pretty good on the surface, but once you delve into it--lo, here there be dragons. Have you spent a lot of time looking at the coding of the ePUBS that you've created, just out of curiosity?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote