View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #111
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
The homonymous title The Truly Awful Recipe Book would be my choice of titles for a book on cooking those parts. ha

It really is all about what you have grown up thinking is acceptable to eat, as well as how you like the taste. My grandmother, who lived all of her life in the deep South, thought that a meal of pork brains (eaten with poke salat) was a real treat!
I haven't (yet) looked through that book but am aware that the USA's deep South is the source of many recipes, typically labelled "soul food", that fit this category. An important historical reason for that is: slaves (especially field slaves) were given the discarded portions of foodstuffs that the ruling classes (slave masters, etc.) didn't want to eat and had to find ways to supplement those rations and make the food palatable. Eventually, as with many other American "folkways" originating with oppressed and/or minority groups, "slave food" cuisine was adopted by the majority population, renamed "soul food", and became trendy. (https://www.bing.com/search?q=slaves...ZI&form=MOZLBR)

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote