View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
off topic, but i noticed recently when messing with my HD 10 that Google DNS is locked in, if you set up your own DNS then 8.8.8.8 gets added. Maybe it goes away if you pay to remove special offers - I think its done to ensure you get the amazon adds. So I cant use only customisable OpenDNS & lose the clickbait like I can on my other devices.
I was very interested and concerned when I read that you couldn't specify your own DNS. I checked with my Fires, and I found that I could enter OpenDNS, and it seems to persist after a reboot. The most recent OS I was able to try it on was 6.3.1.2. Does the problem only occur on more recent OSes?

It was a little tricky to enter my own DNS. Google's 8.8.8.8 was pre-entered. When I backspaced to delete it, the whole IP popped back as soon as I deleted the final 8.

The fix was to not delete the final 8 and then enter the first part of OpenDNS, so you have 8.208.67. Then you can delete the left-most 8 with the 208.67 remaining. Then add the 222.222. It gets saved and persists through a reboot. I entered a non-existent DNS to test if it is ignoring the customer entered DNS. Addresses were then not resolved proving that it does use the customer entered DNS.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote