View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
BN: wifi-centric follows. Skip if one is interested only in hardware solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
But without a hack on Kindle, the Kindle does not connect to a WiFi point that is itself not connected to the net.
Perhaps this means "will only connect to a wifi access point", since the kindle has no way of knowing, pre-association, whether or not the AP has an internet connection.

Consider the scenario of tethering to a phone that does not have a data plan; the android phone looks like an AP to the kindle, gives it a dhcp lease, etc, but just has nowhere to forward those packets.

But at least now we have both devices on the same subnet over wifi. I don't know Kindles well enough to know whether this gets us any further down the road.* Maybe we can ftp/scp back to the kindle, or run a lightweight web server on the android phone and pull files from it using the kindle's browser?

I like the discussion as an intellectual exercise and experiment but two practical points stick in my pea-brain:

1. I would be surprised if I could read a complete kindle-load of ebooks in any period of time shorter than incarceration or exile.
2. I would also be surprised if one didn't stumble across open wifi APs while travelling. Certainly before running out of ebooks to read.

* my first Kindle, a KK, is on the way from eBay. It was, a quick google stalking suggests, used for textbooks by a med student. On the plus side, I am not entirely unfamiliar with android and linux devices.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote