View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #63
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Hey Starson17, sounds like you had a pretty positive experience which is great to hear.
I did. I've wanted it for a while, and I don't know what took you so long to get your butt in gear.

Quote:
It is an interesting comment about automerge. For myself I would be sad to see it removed completely. I've never been a fan of the "match on title only" default implementation so to have to go back to that would be a step backwards imho.
Yes, I didn't like the default much either, and that was what made me write automerge.

Quote:
Re Copy to Library. What would worry me about automerge with this would be the situation of doing "copy and delete", then find that actually it never made it to the destination because of an automerge setting.
You do realize that automerge settings already apply to CTL, don't you? Your scenario is exactly the type of thing that worries me, even though I did agree to make automerge apply to CTL.

Quote:
I use Copy to Library a lot but I am migrating unique sets of books author by author so unless I screwed up by independently adding a book to my newer target library I won't hit that situation.
If you CTL two books that have the same author and fuzzy matched titles, with automerge option on, you'll get the action that the automerge settings command. It will try to merge formats into a single record. CTL isn't just: "Copy these records unchanged into the new library." If you want that function for CTL, Automerge needs to be off.
Quote:
As for the algorithms, that's another interesting question. I can see why you are bringing this up . For myself, I like the fairly conservative approach that automerge takes, and know that "worst case" I will end up with some "duplicates" from a slight variation of author name or whatever. So I don't think you would want to offer "Similar Name, Similar Author" as an option in case it was a bit too aggressive?
That's why it's not in there now. I suppose it's probably a bad idea for automated merging.
Quote:
At least once this functionality is put into Calibre as a user you will know that at any time you can periodically check to see what duplicates you have (or do so after adding a bunch of new books).
Exactly. And it's also why I'm rethinking the application of Automerge to CTL. Its current behavior has always seemed a bit subtle and slightly dangerous. It was useful as the only automatic way to find duplicates, but that aspect of its usefulness is about to be superseded by Find Duplicates.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote