View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Kindle will give you simplicity, and probably has the most user-friendly software. It (currently) can only read ebooks from the Kindle store and non-DRM Mobipocket ebooks.

The nook is an unknown, as it's not out yet. It will read ePub with Adobe DRM and B&N DRM, and also DRM-free ePUBs. So it'll be able to read books from any ebook store apart from the Kindle store.

Of the current Sony's, I'd say the 300 is the one you should go for. It will read Adobe DRM ePubs and DRM-free ePubs, so that covers all ebook stores apart from Kindle & B&N.

And then there's the snaller maker, like BeBook, Bookeen, etc.

I'd suggest that you also consider form factor - the nook and the kindle are significantly bigger (& heavier) than other 6" readers, and even more so when compared to the 5" readers.

If I was buying new today for fiction reading, I'd probably go for the Sony 300, the Bookeen Opus or the BeBook mini (or equivalent). This would be on the grounds of smaller size, so easier to carry everywhere with me, and probably a bit more robust because of the smaller screen size. Also, being 200ppi instead of 167ppi, the text will be slightly sharper. (Although fewer words per page as same physical character size.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
I do a lot of recreational reading of fiction books, and that's what I plan to use a reader for. I don't need one that supports PDFs or surfs the web or anything fancy like that, just something that'll let me read novels with relative ease.

I've been considering the Kindle, the nook, and to a lesser extent something by Sony.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote