View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
You have to enter both HTML TOCs and NCX in a particular standard way in the OPF for KindleGen. It's somewhere in the Amazon Publishing Guidelines PDF.
Hmmm...thanks! I'm not sure it quite saves me a step, to rip my epubs apart and fiddle with the TOC's and NCX, but I'll look into it. If you have the pdf...could you point a link at it? Thanx.

EDIT: nevermind, I have it--the differences are minute and frankly STUPID. You could edit your ncx file and the opf to make the epub work on KindleGen, but it would take more time than the dance o'conversion via Calibre. I just don't like not having that nth-degree of control over the resulting output. For example: epub's reference the toc as "ncx," with a pointer to "toc.ncx." Not Kindle; it has to have it specfied as "item id="toc" even with a pointer to the selfsame toc.ncx.

There are also classes used by Amazon in the ncx for each "type" of item, i.e., "titlepage" "book" "chapter," rather than the plain language of the ncx generated by a Sigil epub. You could convert it easily enough, I would imagine, with a few bits of coding...I might do some NoteTab clips for that if I get bored enough on my trip. What I do NOT know is whether that would screw up Epub 1.05-validation. Hmmm.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-25-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Add question about location of pdf.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote