View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Well I'm biased because I just bought a Cybook but I can give you my thought process.

I know a lot of people are upset about the pricing (and I personally don't agree with it) but Sony will not accept my money on their website at all because I live in Canada. I could get one through a US distributor but Sony wouldn't officially support me. Everything would have to go back through the distributor.

Sony's online terms and conditions of their Online Book site say you have to be a US citizen to use it. Again I know there are work around solutions which many people on this site are using but you have to decide if you are willing to live with these.

Bookeen is a smaller company without Sony's financial backing so there are risks associated with this but they are in the business of electronic books so they need to make it successful or go out of business. Sony can just opt out of the market and continue on. (Note: I've bought two Sony PDA's and then they decided to no longer sell PDA's in Canada so I'm biased).

For the time being Sony made a business decision to only sell their product in the USA and I made a consumer decision to purchase elsewhere.

Having said all that they'll probably announce support for Canada later today. :-)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote