View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Quite honestly, I can't undertstand the negative comment on this poll. I thought long and hard (and took a little moderator advice) before posting it because I genuinely felt it might be of value in assessing the choice of 'informed' buyers (MR members) over the course of the year.
The original post seemed to be aiming to get a realistic representation of actual sales:
Quote:
Statistics on the sale/popularity of the various ebook-dedicated reading devices out there are notoriously unreliable.

Mobile Read has tens of thousands of members, so I wondered -- as a significant survey base -- if we could find out for sure which readers are ahead.

Sure we can guess: But why not find out for sure?
I think that is what is inspiring the negative reaction. If it had simply been presented as a way of finding out which devices regular MobileRead forum visitors bought, it would have been reacted to differently. This poll will not, and cannot, find out for sure which readers are ahead in general sales.

Quote:
What this poll may show -- if a significant number join in -- is what devices are favoured by those who have at least a nodding acquaintance with ebook-dedicated reading devices and who investigated beyond the popular hype before pulling the trigger -- perhaps many who chose their device on the basis of advice offered her in the 'Which One Should I Buy?' forum at MR from experienced users or those who have already had experience of a range of devices.
Even then, I would imagine that most of the visitors to the which one should I buy forum get the info they need and then don't return. Even those who find the forums to ask specific questions would probably end up in the device-specific forums rather than general discussion. what is left is the group who are interested in the devices, formats and business for its own sake.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote