View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #48
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There have been a few posts suggesting that I might have rigged the baseline specs to favor the iPad. I probably would have thought that if I had read this post as well. So I should say that I don't have any specific interest in making the iPad look good. Quite the opposite - I'm looking to get something myself and these specs are what I need to be happy with a device.

And I am focused on US-available devices because I'm in the U.S. But I'm sure there are many international readers that are interested in other device options available world-wide.

I played with an iPad the first week they came out and it's very slick. I like the long battery life (it's important to me to have 10+ hours because I don't want to have to worry about battery and don't want to have to carry an adapter with me). I didn't like that you have to swipe the screen to turn pages - I prefer to lazily click a button, but it's not a big deal.

I want an sd card slot because I want to carry a very large library of documents. Having an sd card slot gives me the option of having as much storage as I want and moving between devices as well.

The convertible tablet is actually my preferred solution. The only problem is that in terms of battery life and speed and size, I think they have a way to go. I have a bigger bulky Lenovo x61t right now, but the size and weight and fan all make it not so good for e-book reading and not so portable. I really hate the way the extended battery pokes out the back (and yet I only get 5+ hrs of battery life). Still, if there was a good $500 netbook convertible with 10+hr battery life and typical 10" netbook size and weight, it would probably be at the top of my list.

Thanks to everyone for the great thoughts and suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you have more ideas and input!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote