View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #21322
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So, it doesn't take a whole lot to get started. I'd suggest small sizes of a black, an oolong, and a green tea. (Check out online sources. Many will have a "sampler" pack that features small sizes of several of their customer favourites. Peet's, for example, has 6 different samplers, ranging from $12.95 to $45.95, with the $12.95 ones being the more interesting. )

Brewing: Any old mug or tea pot will do, and you can simply let the leaves sit in the bottom, or filter them out with a simple strainer. But give the leaves room to swim a bit! Nothing fancy required. Do pre-heat it to the temperature you're going to brew at, however. Once you decide you're serious, then you can think about spending for a good pot. I'm very partial to the cast iron ones, but they are expensive.

Water: Good water is a must. Up here, we don't have great water, so I used filtered water from a separate tap. (Refrigerator filters are pretty good at removing impurities without removing all flavour.)

Temperature. Yeah, it matters, perhaps more than anything else you can do. General rules: Black teas should be made with water at 205 F. or above, Oolongs are happy at 180-195, and Green teas from about 170-185. There are huge exceptions, of course. Keemun (a black tea from China) is comfortable down to ~195, and some China greens can handle up to 195 F. First flush Darjeelings (and India Black) do not like boiling water, I find 195 F. is a good temperature for them, but others suggest 180-185 F. Generic Darjeeling, as well as 2nd Flush Darjeeling, prefer 205 F. and above.

Some teas are flavoured. "Jasmine" anything. Earl Grey. Others. These have added flavourings which may or may not please. Personally, I have moved away from them, though I started out liking some of them. Other teas have a smokiness that comes from the curing process - Lapsang Souchong, for example.

Blends are a merchant's attempt to make something better out of several somethings less. Some work, some do not. I love my current Anniversary Breakfast Blend, and my wife loves Peet's Pride of Port. But mostly, I prefer single teas, where the full flavour of the specific region, handling methods, picking time, and processing come through to a final product that is unique to the tea.

So, have fun, be bold, and report back. Don't be afraid to say that something didn't work for you. Goodness knows we all have our preferences! I'm quite partial to Darjeelings, both first and second flush. Others here disdain them. I like China Greens, ProfCrash much prefers Japanese Greens. (But if you get a Japanese Green, make sure you keep the temperature down. 170 or 175 is about right. Too hot and the tea turns seriously grassy.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote