View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Look at what Google did with collecting everybody's Wifi data. And what happened? Were they severely punished? Does anyone really know if they have deleted any of the data? So, how can you trust any of them?
You make it sound like the collection was a big conspiracy rather inadvertence. Canada's Privacy Commission (the decision is here if you're interested) investigated Google and was convinced that the collection was avoidable, but not intentional, and sanctioned Google appropriately.

Interestingly, the Privacy Commissioner even suggested Google took appropriate steps when it realized what had happened:

Quote:
53. In finding Google in contravention of the Act, we wish nonetheless to recognize and commend the company for the manner in which it handled the incident. But for the measures the company undertook to segregate and secure Canadian payload data, the ramifications of the incident in question could have been far more serious.

54. By all measures, the personal information collected from Canadian WiFi networks appears to have been appropriately safeguarded and is now pending destruction.
But hey, I'm sure the Privacy Commissioner is on Google's payroll and this isn't just your personal bogeyman.

Off topic, I know, but I had to dispel at least a bit of the FUD in this thread.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote