View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
ccarree
ccarree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Is is possible to download to a K3 a calibre library created for a DX?

Hi,

I have a USDX and, since I am outside the Whispernet network, I have downloaded all my kindle purchases (approx. 450) to my computer (a Mac), and then into calibre where the metadata was manipulated to my satisfaction. I then "added" the titles to my DX as they were acquired. Up to this point, everything worked fine. Calibre is a great program and, while I am sure there are functions of which I am unaware, it more than suits my current needs.

Now my question: I recently bought a Kindle 3 (for greater portability when I am out) and assumed it would be a simple matter to connect my K3 to my computer and add my entire calibre library to it. Everything seemed to work fine — calibre indicated when all the books had been added; however, when I tried to open them on the K3, I got the message:

"This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived Items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

Both my kindles are registered to the same account so did not understand this advisory. I then went into the Welcome Wizard in calibre's "Preferences" and changed my "device" from DX to K3 and re-added my collection from calibre. When all my titles were listed as being on "Main" device, I tried to open a few of them on my K3 but, once again, I got the "This item cannot be opened" message.

I cannot imagine that it is not possible to use one calibre library on two different kindles on the same account, and so would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am not very computer literate, although the extent of my knowledge has enabled me to manage to download and use calibre.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Another query: what is the easiest way to get my calibre library from my desktop (its "home") to my laptop for use on my kindle app? Could I download the file onto a flash drive and copy it that way, or is there a way to use MobileMe? Have tried the latter and it did not work, but perhaps (most likely!) I was doing it incorrectly.
ccarree is offline   Reply With Quote