View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Greyscale Tests

I've done a bit more testing and it definitely seems to be a rendering issue.
Attached is a simple test in ePub with various shades of grey. (It's deliberately a 2-page document to force a white 'cleaning' page before the actual tests.)

In calibre reader, ADE for PC and on my Sony PRS-300 all 8-shades show up differently, (although the dithering is quite apparent on the Sony with some of them - presumably because it only has 8 actual greys to use).

On Kindle PW the results are very different:

White and Grey 1 are both rendered as white.
Greys 2 to 5 are light grey but all the same.
Greys 6 and 7 are the same as each other but darker than 2 to 5.

If anyone feels inclined to test on their own reader and report back I would appreciate it. (I want to make sure my books render as expected on any device).

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Grey.epub (2.7 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by Agama; 01-11-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote