View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And I would prefer it like this. Bookmarks and place info is not a feature of the viewer program, it should be intrinsic to the book.
If the LastReadPosition and Bookmarks were used by other viewers and respected by editing software I would give that a thumbs up.

But, AFAIK that data is not used by any other viewers. What's more, if I edit and save a bookmarked EPUB in Sigil, the bookmarks and last read position are lost. My guess is this probably happens if other software rewrites the EPUB.

Given the data is a) peculiar to the calibre viewer and b) not respected by other software, then I'm not sure your argument is entirely valid.

You may well ask, so what's the alternative. I admit I can't think of any that are particularly robust or portable between different viewers and 'editors'. If the viewer data was stored elsewhere (database, metadata.opf, viewer.dat) and then the book content was changed, the result would be that viewer data would be out of synch with the content.

The calibre book editor has no provision to use the bookmarks that I set in the calibre book viewer, as in go to them. And the bookmarks are not 'adjusted' to reflect the changes I make in the book's content files. So after an editor session I can see the bookmarks I previously set in the viewer, but they don't seem to work, as in go to them. But the editor isn't fully developed, so perhaps a future version will address this issue

The ebook world is eons away from being within a bull's roar of the Code Complete nirvana :lol:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2014 at 10:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote