View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtB View Post
I have started using iPad instead of my Kindle to read (and highlight) my library of MOBI books (managed by Calibre on my PC). I do a lot of highlighting. When I used a Kindle, the highlights were kept in another/companion file (*.MBP). Good, so I had a clean original version of the book and could also read/share a version with my highlights by also using the *.MBP companion file.
So, I highlighted a few books on the new iPad. If I try to export from the iPad the highlighted MOBI book (from the documents subdirectory, under Kindle App directory [using iExplorer to see into the hidden directories on the iPad], there is only the MOBI file showing, not the *.MBP highlighting file). I look at the book back on my desktop (using Kindle for PC) and my highlights are gone; I go back to the iPad, they are still there.
Does anyone know the ins/outs of MOBI/*.mbp [highlight/notes files]/iPad/Kindle App?
Is my value added (by highlighting) trapped forever on my iPad and not exportable back to my desktop?
Is the Kindle device the only one that let's me manage/export my highlights (*.MBP file) back to my desktop for sharing?

Thanks!
Side loaded books will not sync highlights on to ANY other Kindle or Kindle app. However if you use the Send to Kindle function to put your mobi books in the Amazon Cloud then DL to the iPad from the Cloud they will easily sync highlights, bookmarks, notes, etc. with the same mobi book on other Kindles and Kindle apps. That is why I stick with the Kindle app because Whispersync is second to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
You've got that right, CtB -- Kindle for iOS is a sub-par product, and the inability to export highlights and notes is one of the major flaws in it. There's just no way around that currently.
What a load of crap! I'm glad you are so deeply in love with Marvin, but please get a room...