View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
henrikb
henrikb began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Ehm ... do you have an example of that sort of beforehand communication which you can share? I'm not coming up with any recollection of any such ....
I'm referring to pretty much any trade show / industry conference open to public. It's not usual to show the product a week prior to launch.

Quote:
Well it seems to me that whether it is premature or not is rather a matter of opinion.

Wait, are you saying the iLiad was premature, or that the DR1000 is premature? I'm not sure I'm following you, and I know you've lost me on the 1,2 -- 8,9 thing.
I meant that the change from the first to second generation of products is generally larger than from the eight to ninth. And iLiad --> DR is an example of the former.

Quote:
Again, on the iLiad or the DR1000? It's sounding like the DR1000 has those things (with the possible exception of bookmarks), how can adding them to the new model be a disappointment to customers?
I'm saying that the wireless feature of the iLiad was useless (you can only do iLiad software updates), the audio output wasn't used etc. And the reader itself is poor - bookmarks and in-between document switching should be there. Any professional reviewer would say the same. It's an unfinished beta.

Quote:
Oh, I see, you're saying that the iLiad was premature, in your estimation, and that the further software support that they've committed to (I haven't been following iLiads enough to know the details on what they've committed to, I'm afraid) hasn't materialized, and you're concerned it now won't do so.
The committed support has materialized in the form that they confirmed that they won't add further functionalities. Hence, it will remain an unfinished beta.

Quote:
Did I get that correctly?

Assuming I did so, then yeah, that's annoying, but again, not terribly surprising. The iLiad forum here is lousy with complaints that they haven't done this or that which they agreed to do. Again, I don't like it, but corporations sometimes don't keep their promises for various reasons, it's no shocker. And while they haven't kept them yet, they are saying that they plan to continue to support the iLiad for the foreseeable future. Yeah, I agree that they probably aren't foreseeing very far here.
Even though it may be no shocker, I'm in my full right to complain when things are unfair. They should dedicate some resources to fix the basic stuff for the iLiad and indicate launch earlier next time.

They are saying that they will support it, but not add further functionalities - which is what support of the iLiad requires apart from also fixing the ones that are broken. Hopefully, a proper release will come.
henrikb is offline   Reply With Quote