View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
peloso
peloso began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism and Ennui, Free today on Amazon

Just wanted to let you know that my latest novel, "First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism and Ennui" is available as a free download today (9/27/12) on Amazon: http://amzn.to/UvQXRH

I guess it is classified as 'contemporary literary fiction,' which basically means that it's not sci-fi or fantasy or romance, or any genre like that. It's just about regular people living in the regular world. In this case the regular world is Washington DC at the dawn of the third millennium (aka the year 2000). It's basically about people who don't deal very well with the fact that their lives are pretty comfortable and easy and they want more out of life, but don't know how to ask for it. Which is sort of where I was in life when I wrote it. I think it's a pretty good book.

First World Problems tells the existential struggles of a gen-x would-be revolutionary/terrorist who is frustrated that he can't find a greater purpose or a cause worth fighting for. Set in DC between the WTO protests in 2000 and the attacks of 9/11, the protagonist- a disaffected, unreliable narrator who is irritated and bewildered with the world and the attitudes of those around him, wanders aimlessly through his interactions with coworkers, friends, and his girlfriend, all of whom seem to care about him but don't understand him. He lashes out in a passive-aggressive way by maintaining a blog filled with tips "terrorists and anarchists" can use in their attacks, but the blog receives few hits or feedback, no matter how incendiary the posts. He attends the WTO demonstration hoping to experience a riot, but is disappointed at how artificial and tame political protests have become in the new millennium. He dreams of a major attack, just to shake up the status quo. But when 9/11 unfolds he is forced to reassess his goals and what is important in his life.

$14.95 retail. 278 pages, 8.5"x5.5", trade paperback
Published by Dark Mountain Books
Physical ISBN: 978-1-931468-31-2, electronic ISBN: 978-1-931468-80-0
peloso is offline   Reply With Quote