View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Joseph View Post
I can assemble quite a nice looking book in Sigil, and save the result to an epub file that uploads to Amazon, no problem. The Sigil epub generates a nice Table of Contents (TOC) from headings on the right side of my display, but the final published book doesn't have a TOC. When viewing the Sigil epub with Kindle Previewer, it also says there's no TOC.

With Sigil, how do I get a TOC into my uploaded Kindle book, preferably the Sigil-generated TOC that shows on my display?
The Kindle needs an in-line TOC (namely an xhtml file with links to the chapters, and which is identified as the table of contents in the <guide> section of the content.opf file).

Amazon's kindlegen mobi generator (which is what is applied when you upload an epub) will not generate an in-line TOC, so you will have to add one yourself to the epub before uploading. The newest beta of Sigil will do this (based on the contents of toc.ncx) with one click. However, IMHO the beta is not yet ready for prime time. With the earlier release version of Sigil, you're on your own to create the inline toc.

On the other hand, if you use Calibre to create the mobi from the epub, Calibre will create the in-line TOC for you. But the Calibre-created mobi may or may not be otherwise equivalent to the kindlegen-created mobi. Use at your own risk.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote