View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgarris View Post
So, my 8 year-old is a big-time reader, and keeps asking for a Kindle. I am at least considering it, although I do have some concerns about him accidentally breaking one if he had it.

Anyway, have any of you ever bought an e-reader for a young child? If so, what kind, and what were your reasons? Price is a big factor, so while the easiest thing to do would be to get a Kindle 3, since my fiance and I already have Kindles, but I want to at least consider other options that could either be cheaper or somehow better-suited for a young child.

For Kindles specifically, where would you go to get the least expensive used or refurb option?
Kindle Wi-Fi SO ($114) is probably one of the cheaper options if you want an e-ink reader with Pearl screen. I've never bought an e-book reader for a child but I believe you're the best person to gauge if your child is responsible enough for an e-reader.

That said, I'm not sure if you can "child-proof" the Kindle library so you might still want to register your child's Kindle to a separate Amazon account without credit cards, etc attached and just un-DRM the books you buy for him/her from your account.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-20-2011 at 04:46 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote