View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
So I just started making backups - metadata.db is just under 4MB, not a big deal.

But - suppose I had to restore it due to corruption, and in the meantime I've added some books to my library, how does it work? I will find myself just with the new books missing (not a big deal) or with metadata.db completely unable to make sense of my library?
I believe just the new books would be missing.

Then again if the thought bothers you, in addition to backing up your library / metadata.db file you could always save your books to disk w/metadata.

1. Go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab
2. Ensure that the following are checked.
Save cover separately
Update metadata in saved copy
Save metadata in OPF file
3. Click OK
4. In your calibre library select all books you wish to (backup) save to disk.
5. Select Save to Disk, create a new directory to export these books to, click OK.
Quote:
Calibre is now exporting all the files you selected and any metadata or covers that you have updated/added.
After the intial save to disk if you add 10 books just select those 10 books and repeat the above steps to keep things up to date.

In the event of catastrophic failure you could start fresh and add these to calibre with the all of the metadata following along.

Personally, I just backup my library, the metadata.db file and the config directory.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-27-2010 at 05:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote