View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I have an entry for each book, but it points nowhere, i.e. the calibre id# for each book is wrong. I have all 1700+ books with no formats as a result. I have all 1700 books backed up in locations calibre doesn't realize they are at.
OK, that's what I originally thought was the situation. You don't say it, but I assume all those entries also have the correct metadata for the book.

Quote:
What I don't understand is how the auto merge picks the correct info.
Auto merge works by matching the author/title of the new book to an existing author/title in the database. The author title of the new book can come from one of two spots. You choose which. Either it gets the metadata from the filename (using the regex in Preferences|Add/Save), or it gets it from metadata stored inside the book (which is often missing or wrong).

You say you "have all 1700 books backed up in locations calibre doesn't realize they are at." That could refer to the original books before they were ever imported into Calibre (and before your problem occurred) or it could refer to the 1700 entries that Calibre first made, after your first import, but before your problem. You didn't say which. The reason I suggested you re-import from the latter (the first Calibre library locations), and not the former (before the first entry into Calibre's database) was because Calibre always creates a filename with author/title. That means you can use a regex in Preferences|Add/Save that will always get the correct author/title metadata and that means Calibre will be able to do the match it needs to do during auto merge.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-26-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote