View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #60
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I'd assume Linux would be most helpful in math, physics, and computer science areas. But the last time I was a student was 20 years ago.
Except for computer science, I doubt any class will have programs these days that would require Linux. Any class that might require running programs, if any do, would be most likely to have Windows-based programs and possibly Mac-based. I also don't know if a Mac can run Linux, but I would be very surprised if that became an issue, although I would be far less surprised if a class had a Windows program associated with it.

But then it's been a while since I was in college, too. I would expect that far and away the most common type of computer file to be used by a class would be reading material in the form of epubs or pdfs, which should be largely platform-agnostic. In my entire time at college, I only remember one class that actually had a program to run as part of the class. It was some high level biology class, and the program was a Mac program, although it's entirely possible, and likely, that a Windows version of the program existed as well.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote