View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Wanting a backup of your entire system is pretty old school. I've never had my Mac system crash for good, and in any case a reinstall takes 30 minutes.
The one thing you can know for certain about any hard disk is that it will die. Mac OS X has a wonderful backup system called Time Machine. Just attach an external hard disk bigger than your internal hard disk and let it do its stuff.

Then when the internal disk dies, just whip it out, pop in a new one, boot off the install CD and restore from the Time Machine backup.

You get everything back as it was within an hour or two of the hard disk failure with no effort.

No need to manuallly re-install system software, application software, configure preferences, etc.

While not a complete backup system (an off-site backup of personal documents is also really required), it's saved my data more than once.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote