View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Silent Steppe would have been a great choice; perfect for my purposes. People (I'm looking at you, Paola and Hamlet53) need to stop being so coy!

The silver lining is that now I know about it.
Guilty. I did consider mentioning it though not actually nominating it. Like Paola lesson learned. Now that the nominating process is closed I will mention a couple of other books I considered putting out there, but I did not because these books are not recent and both are associated with the Ukraine, not Islamic countries that were once part of the USSR.

The first is Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel by Anatoly Kuznetsov. This is a very good book set in Kiev during the German occupation of WWII.

The second is And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov. I actually read this way back in high school, being inspired to it by taking an elective course in Russian history. This is actually the first half of a two novel epic about a family of Don Cossacks set over the crucial period from just prior to WWI through the following civil war in Russia.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-06-2012 at 07:57 AM.