Old 07-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #69
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
What I don't like:
-Two of my text files, which I created myself and saved in Microsoft Notepad, were not recognised by the device. The Project Gutenberg files opened perfectly well, so maybe there's a quirk in the way Notepad saves text files.
-The page-turn speed still isn't great, although that can probably be said for any e-ink reader. It's less of an annoyance if I use the smallest or second-smallest font, so page turns are kept to a minimum.
-The contrast is good, but still not as good as good-quality paper. It looks as though I'm reading a high-quality newspaper. Again, a consequence of still-developing technology
-When the page changes, there's a (very) faint afterimage of the previous page still on the screen. I'm not sure whether that's Hanlin-specific or not. It's not enough to interfere with reading, though.
-The page-turn buttons (the ones on the side as well as the ones on the bottom) are very close to the edge of the reader. If I hold it in one hand and turn pages as I walk, my thumb is forced into a cramped and rather uncomfortable position.
-Availability. I'm in Canada, and the only reasonably-priced retailers I could find were in the Netherlands or China. I bought mine from the Netherlands, and it took nearly a month to arrive.
1) I'd suggest to use BookDesigner (look around here, there is v4 + IMPORTANT update) then convert these txt files to FB2. BD will fix the line breaks for you.
2) Page turn speed is a "feature" of the current e-ink device, you'll get used and even press the button before the reach the end of page... it's almoast certain that future readers will fix that.
3) Contrast is OK, without my contacts my eyesight is 10-15% of normal and still I can read without lights and without eyestrain No backlight, though. Again, I expect improvements for future readers.
4) About the afterimage you mean AFTER you changed to a new page or while changing? If you mean after then something is wrong. While changing it's a treat of vizplex technology. Once more, you get used.
5) I hope you haven't paid in euro Looks like for Americans the best option is to order from China.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote