View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Peter Blaise
Peter Blaise began at the beginning.

Device: mobi
- "... Umm No. I dont support end-of-lifed operating systems. If it works for you on windows 7, good for you, enjoy ..." - [ Kovid Goyal creator of calibre ]

Hi Kovid Goyal, so pleased to meet you, and thank you for your unique, inventive, savvy, and powerful work creating your ebook and library management program.

- - - - -

Ahh, your comment explains part of why the Calibre Ebook download_windows64 page mentions only Windows 8 and 10 as currently supported by Calibre v4.

I imagine that Calibre v3 was the release that was last intentionally supportive of Windows 7.

However, Windows 7 is still supported ( by Microsoft, I presume you mean ), up to January 2023 as of this moment, even though Microsoft marketing had a big "... please buy Windows 10 ..." hullabaloo in January 2020.

Yet, Calibre v4 is from October 2019, when Windows 7 was unquestionably extant, still being sold new by Dell, Microcenter, and others.

And yet, Microsoft declared Windows 8 unsupported way back in January 2016.

You mean Windows 8.1, right?

May I suggest a simple statement like:

"... Calibre Ebook is tested on, and supports, Microsoft-publicly-supported Windows versions ( at the moment, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 ), so if the current Calibre Ebook v4 program misbehaves for you on another version of Windows, you can downgrade to a prior version of Calibre Ebook v3 without risk to your library by downloading from here: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/ ..."

The challenge may be to not get entangled in Microsoft's marketing hooey, and insure the best empowerment of Calibre Ebook users.

Calibre Ebook v4 works no problem on Windows 7.

- - - - -

The second issue I had was the lack of search sophistication here at MobilRead.com forums for Calibre, where it ignored the [ 3 ] in a [ Calibre 3 ] search, and it ignored the [ 7 ] in a [ Windows 7 ] search, then it also ignored the words [ v3 ] and [ v7 ], hence my being unable to find any mention of any transition supporting why the Calibre download page directed Windows 7 users to Calibre v3 instead of the current Calibre v4.

I'm grateful to attentive readers like [ David DNSB Bibliophagist ] who suggested that perhaps prior threads about video card incompatibilities were the source of misbehaviors under Windows 7.

But the information was not findable here in the forums without an attentive reader/chaperone like [ David DNSB Bibliophagist ] - thanks again.

I've never experience display misbehavior from Calibre.

I have never witnessed any misbehavior of any Calibre version under any version of Windows, by the way.

- - - - -

So, that's it, I'm cool, carry on.

Thanks for exploring this and sharing.
Peter Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote