View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #55
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Yes, with the backlight the light source shines (color-filtered) directly into the eyes, with the frontlight you only see the reflection of the light - that is an enormous qualitative difference.
Would you have any research to back it up? From my own, admittedly very limited, experience my eyes tire quicker with the frontlight on. (I almost never use it, though.) I have also read of people here on the forums and on reddit suffering from eye strain issues; the consensus seems to be that e-ink solves this problem, but only with the frontlight deactivated. This wouldn't surprise me, considering that the frontlight lights up a dark room about as much as a backlight does.

Still, it would be interesting to read research on this topic. Maybe that is a bit much to hope for. The research I have seen seems to conclude that LCD screens are no more tiring than e-ink, which is a ridiculous conclusion. (If, however, they tested this with the frontlight on and the above description holds true it might actually be a valid result.)
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote