View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Whether or not a line break is allowed after a dash should be language and context dependent. The Mobipocket firmware on the Cybook does not break after dashes, which is OK for Spanish, but for English it can result in severely underfull lines (that's why I chose to use "space-endash-space" in my books). But the ePUB firmware does break lines after dashes, which is wrong and ugly for Spanish. I have reported this to Bookeen, and they've asked me a sample file and screen picture, so I guess they'll at least look into it. In French the dashes are usually spaced from the text, so one can use non-breaking spaces to prevent that, and I use it. The option that remains is using zero-width breaking (& #8203;) or non-breaking (& #8288;) spaces before and after each dash, but this is cumbersome, and I'm afraid support for them in different readers is as reliable as usual.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote