View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #117
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjenkins View Post
I was finally convinced to buy the iRex Iliad (not the 1000S) until I saw your comment. Does that mean if I purchase one this week and something goes wrong with it within a year, they won't fix it?

My second choice is Kindle DX but my ONLY criteria is that pdf documents are easy to read - which is why I want the iRex.

I've heard a lot of people grumbling about the iRex's bad customer support and difficulty in getting assistance from their technical support. That bothers me.

With the Kindle DX, I'd be buying it from eBay (because I live in Australia) so not sure if I could get any support either if my unit stops working.

Any advice on which way to go? I don't want to buy the Iliad 1000S as it's way too expensive and I think it's a little too big.

Thanks for your guidance...

regards
Helen
Sorry for the misunderstanding. They definitely will repair it. But they don't develop any further. Meaning, there won't be any firmware updates. So iLiad probably never will be able to process DRMed ePUB for example.
In my opinion, iLiad's firmware is "close to perfection". But still some might be troubled, purchasing a unit, which already is replaced by the manufacturer itself (iRex 1000S being sole focus).

I've bought Kindle 2 and Kindle DX via eBay myself. Excellent experience. But, as far as I know, repair will be a problem - if one would be needed. I'd have to send back to the US and even might need help from the original purchaser.
Same applies for Sony, they only give support in the country of original purchase.

Concerning PDF support: I really like my Kindle DX. But for PDF, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice (not even 2nd or 3rd, maybe 4th or 5th).

Concerning iRex' support: My iRex 1000S has had a so called "line error" from the very beginning. I had to send it in and wait for a replacement unit. They have been very responsive and proactive, no complaints.

If PDF is a criteria, my suggestion still would be iRex iLiad. Usually, when PDF is important, ePUB comes in handy as well. Then Sony would be an excellent choice as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 04:35 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote