View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I find rather odd is if I look at the updates for the Vision 4HD, the link by 11.2.0 show 11-2-3 as part of the path while the 1.8.5 to 10.1.0 update shows 11.2.3 as part of the path. The two update.zip files that download seem to differ in the updater binary and script files.

And I caution being very careful using the downloaded firmware. Unlike Kobo where they differentiate the links for the various hardware generations, Tolino seems to stuff all the updates into a single block where the links all start "https"//download.pageplace.de/ereader/" (which switches to "https://tolinodownloads.kobo.com/ereader/") followed by the version number as either xx.yy.xx or xx-yy-zz (depending on where you are doing a major upgrade or a minor upgrade). You could download 11.2.3 but what are the chances that it will work on your Page?
The Page asked if I wanted to update to 11.2.3 today, so I let it do it. It seems to be a bit snappier for reading, I guess. One of the main changes is the keyboard – everyone is going to the simplified keyboard but I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. One negative ... going to my Overdrive page at my library is excruciatingly slow. It's a fairly complicated page so I guess the newer OS and browser are more "top heavy" than the old combination was. Apparently the Page barely has enough power to run it. On the positive side, Constantia has started working (both ttf and otf were accepted as valid now). Other fonts, like Deja Vu, still don't work. I'll test it out. I've still got a copy of the old update so (I assume) I can drop back if something proves too annoying.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote