View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Can I downgrade my original Kobo firmware?

The most recent upgrade, which I think came out in Jan. 2011, provided a dictionary and some other new features. All very well and good, seemingly, but now my Kobo crawls. The page turns are still fine, but booting up takes an age, to the point where I turn it on and then go do something else. Book and chapter loads are also much slower, I am certain. After living with this for several months, I am starting to think nostalgically of the earlier firmware (which I believe was 1.8.2?) A dictionary is nice, but I hardly use it so it's not worth suffering slower load times. The ability to plug in the Kobo for recharging and have the option to read it is, again, a nice feature, but one I never use, so also not worth suffering slower load times.

Can I downgrade my current firmware from the latest, whatever number that is, to 1.8.2? I have tried the factory reset and that does not do it. It deletes your added books and resets date, time, etc., but the new features are still there, hence the new firmware.

If downgrading proves impossible, then I am interested in any suggestions for coaxing better performance out of this sucker. Thanks.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote