View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Marie Weiss View Post
Hi friends. I'm working on the creation of an ebook by exporting it in a rtf file to Kindle for conversion to mobi. The goal is to edit and polish the output for reading on Kindles.

I've managed to resolve a variety of formatting issues but don't see answers to this one in the forum.

The mobi file wants to respect the 8.5 x 11 standard page size by inserting line breaks in the words of the text at the page border, and page breaks where the 11 inch page would end. How to delete these large spaces?

I surmise I need to edit the 'page size' somewhere in the rtf format before exporting to Kindle for conversion.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thank you.

Hi:

No, that's not what is happening. Somehow, when you used that file, it must have been in some Apple or iPad app, because it's being exported with line-breaks at the end of EVERY line, all of which have to be removed by hand, and page-breaks at the bottom of each page. We also see this with faux Word/RTF files created by "save as Word" from PDFs, too. (Never works).

You have to edit all of those out. eBooks do NOT use the same line-lengths as print, and they reflow. Turn on your pilcrow or reveal codes icon, find the paragraph breaks or line-breaks at the end of each line, delete them. Replace with a space as needed. Delete the page breaks at the bottom of each page.

If you leave them in, even in changing the "page size" your resulting Kindle book will be a disaster.

That's how it's done.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote