View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
My original motivation for going to an e-reader was a bit different. Living in France, I was looking for a way to get access to English language novels and other books, published in the US and UK without adding to my already overburdened bookshelves.

I didn't want a Kindle, or any reader with wireless capabilities as I hardly need motivation for impulse book purchases, and I figure the wireless connection is just another impediment to buying US books from overseas. So ultimately I went with a Sony PRS 600. Registered it with the Sony store in the US and so far have used gift cards to purchase books with no problem. But I've also been able to buy books from other vendors, most notably Kobo. Have yet to try the UK e-book stores but I suspect I will be able to purchase from them with little or no difficulty (or will set up my laptop with just ADE if necessary).

Actually one of the big spurs to finally buy the thing was discovering Calibre and playing with that for a couple weeks on my PC. Having the ability to download the newspapers I was reading online and take them with me on the Reader was a huge plus - and I figure the daily (or almost) hook up to the computer keeps the charge topped up.

I also got an M-Edge cover with the light. Initially thought I'd want the sort of cover that opens out like a regular book, but finally got the one where the cover folds up and over the top, making a little stand for the reader. When I thought about it, I've always had problems reading while eating, for example, and this cover made the most sense for me and the way I tend to read.

A long time ago I was a book buyer for a big university library in the US, so I'm still interested in the book publishing business. Despite all the fuss and feathers about this new agency pricing thing, I'm finding that the price of e-book versions is fluctuating all over the place. Stuck a bunch of titles that interested me on my wish list in the Sony store, and one day just browsing found that the price on a recently published book had fallen to $9.99 from nearly $15. Another title has recently gone "not available for purchase" though it's still listed as available over on Kobo. So in any event, the new pricing arrangements seem not to be the huge disaster many were anticipating. At least I'm managing to find plenty of stuff to read for reasonable prices (defined as something less than paperback prices).

So, net net, I'm really thrilled with my little purchase.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote