View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #1052
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I wrote elsewhere about how I was given a bricked Kindle Keyboard, and about my unwarranted pride in having managed to revive it (the owner had seemingly left the battery run down with 3G turned on). Well, when I took the Kindle out for its first field trip (out of the house, that is), it began freezing and restarting – leaving me nothing to read on my slow commute.

I tried a factory reset. Still had the problem. I decided that if the Kindle was going down, it was going down in flames. I assembled all of the most recent tools for debricking, and began following (religiously) the steps laid out on the debricking thread here. It took me many tries to get past the first steps – ATK tool kept telling me that USB drivers weren’t installed. Finally, the timing of Ringo calling home seemed to coincide with ATK looking for it, and I managed to flash the kernel and FW3.4. Having no freaking clue what the hell I was doing, I was pretty elated (only a slight exaggeration). However, once I began reading the book I had been reading when the problem first manifested, I began to get spontaneous restarts (I wish I could restart myself, at times). I had not suspected the book I had been reading when the problems began, because the same book works fine on my other Kindle Keyboard.

I deleted the book, and I haven’t been able to freeze the device since, and I’ve tried, clicking too rapidly through Scrabble and chess. Time for an outing? This time I bring a backup.

So thanks to all (esp. Geekmeister), I have successfully debricked my Kindle, although perhaps all that was needed was a little work on the mortar….
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote